For those who are new to Southern Hills Mennonite Church, here’s what you can expect on a typical Sunday.
The Holy Grounds Café opens at 9:00 a.m. with free coffee and tea. Stay in the café and get acquainted with new friends, or hang out in the church foyer, where you’ll find information about Mennonites, our church, and our current activities.
We ask that you enter the sanctuary quietly to pray, light a candle, or reflect during the musical prelude, which begins at 9:20. The service begins at 9:30. Components of a typical service are:
- Music – Mennonites are known for their singing! We also have times of reflection with music provided by children and youth as well as adults. Sometimes we have special numbers by soloists, small ensembles or our church choir.
- Time with the Children – usually a story or simple activity, normally for children ages 10 or under.
- After the Time with the Children, children age 5 and under (potty trained) are invited to the church nursery for the remainder of the service for children’s activities supervised by an experienced preschool teacher with over 15 years of experience of planning children’s activities.
- Offering – We do NOT expect visitors to contribute money in our offering, but everyone is given the opportunity to share prayer requests written on response cards located in the sanctuary.
- Prayer – We invite people to share joys and concerns verbally or on response cards.
- A 20 minute sermon with insights into scripture and life.
Hearing assist devises and large print bulletins are available on request from the ushers or greeters.
“Education and Action Groups” begin at 10:45 for all ages. Typically there are four options for adults to choose from”
- a drop-in forum, often with a guest speaker or a question/answer session that continues on the themes raised in the worship service
- a Bible Study
- a women’s group that discusses current social issues
- a coffee/discussion group for post-college young adults